What are Odd One Out questions?
‘Odd One Out’ questions are a common Non-Verbal Reasoning (NVR) question type. Let’s take a look at what they are.
In Odd One Out questions, we are given five figures.
Four of the five figures are related in some way.
This leaves one figure that is the odd one out!
(A ‘figure’ is simply the shape or set of shapes that make up one of the choices).
How to find the answer to Odd One Out questions
To help work out which choice is the odd one out, we can ask ourselves the following questions that focus on key elements of each figure.
By asking these questions, we can uncover the common element or elements that four of the five figures share.
- How many shapes does the figure have?
- How big or small is the figure?
- Is the figure shaded or not?
- What kind of outline does the figure have?
- In which direction is the figure pointing?
- Where are the shapes of the figure positioned?
- Do shapes overlap or not in the figure?
- Does the figure have any lines of symmetry?
NVR Odd One Out questions in the 11+ exams
For more Odd One Out questions, check out the expert 11+ Non-Verbal Reasoning practice exam papers in our shop!
Our 11+ NVR practice papers all come with detailed answers and explanations for each question.
Available in PDF download to be printed out for immediate use and also physical format, which we post out to you.